Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:58:37 +0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (72 lines)
Dear Lactneters,

serving LLL Future Areas in Asia & Middle East as Co-APL I got an inquiry from a leader in China.
I've never heard of this treatment and so far I couldn't find out anything. 

(permission to post; quoted in snippets)

Saw this article on Excite.com. Wondering what impact it has on breastfeeding especially in regards to what
the woman at the end experienced. <....>

China Bans Breast-Enlarging Liquid
May 18, 12:02 PM (ET) By JOE McDONALD

BEIJING (AP) - China has banned a breast-enlarging liquid that was injected into more than 300,000 women
and caused such pain for some they had their breasts removed - the latest scandal over dangerous treatments
blamed on lax oversight or corrupt doctors.

The China Daily, which reported the ban Thursday, said the Chinese-made liquid, Ao Mei Ding, was approved
for general use in 2000 before completing required testing and was used in hospitals and beauty
parlors throughout the country.

The treatment, made by the Fu Hua Pharmaceutical Co., "continuously caused negative effects and consumer complaints,
and the administration's monitoring center believes its safety cannot be guaranteed," the State Food and Drug
Administration said in a statement on its Web site Thursday.

The drug's manufacturer was ordered to "deal with the incidents caused by the use of the product," the statement said,
without giving details of what the company was expected to do. A phone call to the company after normal business hours
Thursday wasn't answered.

China has suffered a series of medical scandals recently <......>
Breast-enlargement and other cosmetic surgeries have soared in popularity in China amid rising incomes and pressure to land
jobs and attract spouses.

In the Ao Mei Ding case, China Daily described the treatment as "manmade fat" but didn't say what it contained.
It quoted a doctor who called it a colloid, a term that refers to a variety of gelatinous liquids.

<...>Hundreds of women who received the injections complained to the drug agency in November, the newspaper said.

A report by the agency in January listed 183 cases of side effects, the China Daily said. Women quoted by the newspaper
said they suffered extreme chronic pain, and it said some had their breasts removed.

<...>
A woman in her 20s who was quoted by the China Daily and identified by the nickname Xiao Cao, said she suffered pain
after receiving injections of the liquid in 2003. She said blood seeped from her breasts after she gave birth in 2004.

"I was able to do nothing but cry, because I was afraid that the injected liquid was in my milk," she was quoted as saying.

(end of snippets)

Yesterday  there was the first phone call regarding this breast enlargement fluids:
A mother called us from Anhui and asked if her breast enlargement fluid, something to do with polyacrylic acid,
which she had drained out before pregnancy, would affect her baby's health if she were to breastfeed.

So, what do we tell her now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sabine Rossnick
Nurse, LLLL, Co-APL, Mother of 2

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2