Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:24:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)

I have posted on Lactnet before about my experiences with being a Red Cross shelter manager and disaster volunteer for another organization. You can do a search of the archives to read my experiences and suggestions:

Suggestions would include:
Not accepting donations of 18 wheelers of ABM during a disaster. It ties up the roads, loading docks, and distribution centers with tons of ABM which cannot be used except for fraud. People very quickly learn to grab the ABM donations and head to the closest store to trade it in for gift cards which can then be used for cigarettes and beer.
ABM donations are powdered, which then creates the problem of finding water, cleaning bottles, storing open cans of powdered ABM, etc.
Shelter managers are not trained in helping mothers sterilize bottles, water, mix correctly the portions, give the bottles, sterilize the bottles, store the remainder in the can properly, etc. Especially in buildings with emergency generators which are only working intermitently. Shelter nurses need to be trained in helping mothers maintain breastfeeding during a disaster. We had 3 newborns in the shelter and when I explained to the mothers the need to breastfeed at this time, 2 of those agreed and I provided them with manuel pumps to help stimulate milk production. Those 2 only breastfed/breastmilk fed for a few weeks but it got them through the situation.
Shelters should provide a separate location for a family with an infant/toddler, away from senior citizens and others who may be disturbed by "baby noises". We had arguements that almost escalated into fights over children bothering other people in the halls. Babies and children need to be housed also away from persons who may be spreading diseases. We had strep throat spread through our shelter like wildfire, and luckily I was able to find a laundry in a neighboring town that donated sterilizing the bedding while I organized cleaning crews of the survivors to sterilize as many surfaces as possible. Shleters need to have WIC staff come there to certify mothers and babies who may not have prior to the disaster, been qualified for WIC but now have lost income. Often survivors have lost their means of transportation and cannot come to office sites to sign up for services so services should be available at the shelter. Waivers or procedures need to be in place for persons who have lost their identification. It was so frustrating that persons need a social security card for a replacement drivers license, yet you can't get a replacement social security card without a driver's license. Finally the clerk of court said I could certify and sign that each person was who they said they are. I had over 400 people in my shelter that I had to help wade through applications and sign for many of them to get IDs. WIC required birth certificates but no one had those. When a disaster happens suddenly, at night, etc, people do not have time to find birth certificates, and important papers to bring in the boats or helicopters.

Barbara Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2