Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:52:37 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Hi All

I have a mother and baby that I am losing sleep over and I would like to share and ask if anyone has any ideas please.

Mother was booked for a section as baby was a footling-breech, she went into labour early at 38 weeks and delivered by emergency section on the 11/1/2006. birth 2740 grams, apgars 9.9.

mother and baby were discharged on day 5. breast were becoming full, and baby was feeding well.  on day 6 mother was OK breast still full, baby feeding 3 hourly through day 4 hourly at night and being topped-up with ebm by syringe because of jaundice.I found out that baby was admitted to hospital after having an apnea episode at the breast. They were then discharged 3 days later after a barrage of tests all OK.  Day 11 baby had regained birthweight. I went back 2 days later and baby was lethargic and lost 26 grams of weight, was still breastfeeding but having ebm top-ups by bottle but it was taking 45 mins to get 20 mls in.
 Day 14 sat and observed 2 feeds this day, still taking 1 hour after feeding to settle, baby appeared to be only sucking occasionally,even with switch nursing - plan was still 3 hrly feeds, limit time at breast then give ebm by cup feed, baby managed 60 mls - 2nd feed mother did switch nursing limited time at breast then with a fast flowing teat gave ebm 30 mls and then another 30 mls of infant formula. baby settled and slept for 5 hours.

we are now day 18 - and baby still dosent suck effectively at the breast , I put my finger into the baby mouth to-day  to feel how he was sucking before a feed initially for a few seconds the baby had a strongish  suck then went to non nutrive sucking - I have checked for a cleft palate, tongue-tie, I dont know what is wrong with this baby -  My questions are - could a apnea attack at the breast while feeding imprint and impact on the way this baby feeds???, what else could it be,?????? Are there babies who just dont feed well at the breast ? but do OK with bottles?   This baby dosent engage with eye contact while feeding, and appears to be difficult to settle unless he is being held? Now the mother is being treated for mastitis.  Mother is pumping and dumping her milk because she dosent want the baby to have any contact with antibotics even  though she is aware that its not contraindicated. I will be contacting a speech language therapist  to-morrow but till then I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have sent them to see a paeditrician who said the baby was fine - I have also suggested that the parents take the baby for some crania-oseopathic treatment. Mum has contacted me in the last hour and has made a decision stop breastfeeding - I advised her not to stop pumping yet as she will end up with an abcess.

Sincerely

June Nicholls

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2