Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:06:05 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I got a LLL call in 1993 or thereabouts from a mother who had not been able to nurse her first two children. With the third they had many ups and downs that mom persevered through. She was thrilled to still be nursing at over 6 months.... then her baby bit her... I gave her all the great ideas already mentioned, plus the only thing that worked with my youngest... I had to bring her in very close so she had to open her mouth, and put her on the floor at which point Jill would scream her head off.. she too, bit down very hard when falling asleep (she was also a tooth grinder... I have my theories about that re: calcium/magnesium and other stress factors)... so I shared this experience with her and this mom tried them all and after one week, none worked.. then she called me a week or so later and my first thought was "oh no... she weaned the baby and she had wanted to keep nursing her so badly" but she was actually quite pleased with herself.. she said that finally, one day when her baby bit her and was kind of mischievous looking, mom looked her right in the eye and said in a quiet and firm voice "If you ever bite me again, I will stop breastfeeding you and I will make you drink from a bottle".. baby never bit her again.. go figure.. and they went on to nurse into toddlerhood.. one of my favorite LLL experiences ever!

maybe we don't give these babies enough credit for understanding our words.. but I haven't met a mom since who was willing to make that ultimatum and stick with it happily..and I personally am loathe to suggest it..still, when a mother reaches into herself for a solution and really feels it.. wow!

Celina D

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2