Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 06:57:51 -0300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
"I called the Infant Risk Center and they said that pumping should maintain her prolactin levels but she may need 
skin to skin to initiate the oxytocin response.  She is anxious and restless on the ventilator so that may have an effect too"

On reading this piece of the original post, I was reminded of an anecdote from Jacki Glover at a La Leche League Canada Health Professional Seminar (2004):  the husband of a mother in a similar situation knew how important breastfeeding was to her and insisted on putting baby to breast on a regular basis.  When the mother recovered she informed him that it was the baby suckling at the breast which had made the difference and "pulled her back".  [At which point I don't think there was a dry eye in the house.]  

A second story, from a personal friend who had an emergency C-section for twins at 26 weeks and had complications which meant that she did not see the babies for a significant period of time.  During the separation she remembers periods of conciousness where all she wanted to know was if the babies were alive (she's a pediatric nurse, so she knew the possible realities).

I think it is admirable that the mother's family is supporting her as they are, but maybe what she really needs is the baby.  Could her anxiousness and restlessness be an indication of this need to know that the baby is healthy?  I do recognize that these are normal reactions to being on a ventilator, but that may be masking another cause.

Nicola Aquino, LLLL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2