Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:07:34 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I've always tried (since my early years as a CCE 20 years ago) to forewarn families that the "medications" (read: drugs) used in and around childbirth do have an effect on babies.  I equate it to us having one too many drinks (or maybe several too many), and that as a result we are sleepy, uncoordinated, don't learn well, can't pay attention, etc.)  These responses in a newborn, if "medications" are needed, may require the parents to be more proactive in helping their babies (and themselves) to the best possible start.  This approach seems to make sense to people, yet doesn't put me in the category of those "fanatics" who don't want moms to have any drugs.

To our anesthesia friend (I must have missed that post - who?), years ago I remember Dr. Hale talking about riperidine vs. meperidine etc. as a better choice in epidurals, etc.;  What's being used mostly today (I've been out of touch for a while), pros and cons, and what happened to riperidine? 
--
Kay McKee

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2