Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 14:32:34 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Thought I'd share my experience.

Last March, I attended the Breastfeeding Committee for Canada's 2-day annual meeting in Ottawa without my 2 1/2 year old daughter.  By the second morning, I had to relieve the fullness by hand expressing.  Faced with a 1/3 coffee mug of milk, with no need to take it home, but not wanting to waste it, either, I drank it.  To me it tasted just like milk, maybe slightly sweeter.  

I had never really tasted my milk before, but realizing that this opportunity may pass me by if we didn't have another child, I wanted to say that I had tried it, and overcome this psychological barrier.  How can I talk about the benefits of breastmilk for babies, and possibily for other ill persons, if I couldn't bring myself to drink it?

I must admit that I have told FEW people about doing this, even in the breastfeeding community.  I wish more moms would try this, but perhaps this is too soon to talk about in the mainstream - right now it would be just more fuel for the "breastfeeding freak" label.

BTW, I usually get VERY tired out by these day-long meetings, and end up taking aspirin for a huge headache by mid-afternoon.  That afternoon and evening, I felt GREAT, clear and energetic.  (but that could also be because I didn't have my daughter to nurse me into a woozy half-awake state for the afternoon meeting!)

Janice Reynolds
Consumer Representative, Breastfeeding Committee for Canada

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2