Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 00:43:35 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
No evidence needed of caloric value of any substance. If you know what's in it, calculating energy is easy.
Human milk contains 8grams of lactose per 100ml, lactose is 4cal/gram; protein is about 1,5gr/100ml, also at 4cla/gram. Fat is the big variable and offers most calories: 8/gram. Mean fat content is said to be about 4gr/100ml, but can vary from practical nil to way over 10gram/100ml.
on average 100ml of human milk will contain 8x4cal from lactose + 1,5x4cal from protein + 4x8cal from fat = 32+6+32=70 cal/100ml. according to my calculator 100ml is 3.38 oz, so that brings the math to 70/3=(about) 23 cal/oz
I have a crematocrit-machine and almost never test human milk below 22cal/oz, most average around 24-26 (term, healthy babies of any age)

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC in PP, LC lecturer, preparing for the new course season in southern Netherlands

Twitter @eurolacpuntnet

>________________________________
>From: Jessica L. Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:12 AM
>Subject: Calorie count of BM
>
>I posted this last week but I did it the night before a new week started so i wanted to post again so people would see it.
>
>Has there been any recent evidence based research published regarding calorie content of breastmilk. I know that it varies all the time but I can't seem to get the fact into the neonatologist’s mindset that breastmilk is not 20kcal/ounce. So if a baby needs 22kcals it has to have a fortifier added because breastmilk 'is only 20kcal'. Of course I know that a creamocrit would be the answer but hospital won’t pay for one so I was wondering if there was anything published that I could provide to them so I can increase their education. 
>
>Jessica Callahan RN, IBCLC
>USA, NC
>
>I just have to say again how much i love this website. I see everyone on this site as my extended family and i think it is great to have a place to go to for research, ideas, pats on the back and everything else we do for each other.
>
>             ***********************************************
>
>Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
>To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
>Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
>COMMANDS:
>1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
>2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
>3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
>4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
>
>
>

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2