Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:55:00 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
My older sons attend an elementary school with a "no siblings" policy.  When my youngest son was breastfeeding, I routinely took him with me in a baby carrier to all school activities.  Even though I was aware of the policy, I simply chose to adopt a "don't ask, play dumb" stance and do it anyway.  When my son got old enough to understand, I told him that he had to get in the carrier when we got to school property and could not get out again until we left.  I was never once asked to leave the school even though administration and teachers both saw me with my son.  (I never snuck around --- just acted like it was normal to have a breastfeeding child with me in a carrier)  In fact, more often than not, I received positive comments on how happy and content my son was in the carrier and amazement that I was "strong enough to carry him for so long"  (to which I inwardly rolled my eyes!).

However, the policy made more sense to me when I observed other mothers trying to bring younger sibs who were either in giant strollers or racing around the school halls and disrupting the learning environment.  Perhaps advocating with the school board for a "babes in arms only" policy might help.

Best of luck,
Brenda Carroll, MA, IBCLC, LLLL
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2