Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:56:12 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
Actually I wasn't implying things were better in the good old days. I was truly simply wondering what the average lactation consult looked like in America before we had/knew about all the gadgets, say about 30 years ago. I wonder how many LC's there even were. 

Granted there are few who could answer this question. 

Vicky York, IBCLC, CPD
Portland, OR

>
>Date:    Wed, 10 Apr 2013 08:24:39 -0400
>From:    Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Breastfeeding without gadgets
>
>Having lived and worked in developing areas of the world from 1980 - 1999, where there were seldom gadgets -- breastfeeding problems were assisted by conursing (among cowives or kin or wetnurses) and when the problems weren't solved babies failed to thrive or died. Since the immediate cause of death would be listed -- for instance, dehydration from severe diarrhea when a mom finally succumbed and fed her baby watered down camel's milk with fermented millet -- no one was taking a detailed history to figure out what set that baby down the path.  
>
>When one in five babies dies before age 5, no one is really investigating whether the severe iodine deficiency that leads to hypothyroidism and poor fertility in the mom and slow cognitive development and sometimes even cretinism in infants contribute to suppressed milk production and/or poor sucking ability.   Similarly, I don't think anyone is looking for tongue or lip dies in areas where surgery for clefts in lips and or palates are rarely done.  Undernutrition is common so who really knows whether a 7% or the 10% weight loss contributes to poor gains in these infants or whether infants who lose that much have an underlying condition that caused them to lose the weight and continues to make it difficult for these babies to transfer enough milk.  Clearly there were less iatrogenically induced problems.  Nevertheless, I wouldn't assume that there was ever a perfect time and a perfect place when breastfeeding went swimmingly well for all women and
 infants.  
>
>Best, Susan Burger
>
>             ***********************************************
>
>

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2