Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:42:48 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
I would like to ask fellow Lactneters a question regarding electric breast pumps.  Most, if not all breast pumps that I have seen or used are issued with 4-8 ounce bottles for collection of milk.  I have run across staff in my hospital as well as others who are giving moms 2 ounce "volu-feed" or other brands of bottles for milk collection.

My question is does this smaller bottle alter the pressure/suction produced by the pump.  From personal experience I know that an 8 oz. bottle on a pump had less suction than did the 4 ounce bottle.  I wonder if the ounce bottle would have a greater suction and therefore and increase possibility of nipple / breast trauma?

The moms I have worked with who were using the 2 oz.  bottles were only able to tolerate the lower suction and rate of the pumps.  Once the bottles were switched out to a 4 oz. they were able to increase the suction on the pump and stated that it was much more comfortable.  Has anyone else had experience with this?

I do not have access to a pressure gauge to test each bottle at this time.  Any information would be helpful.

Thank You
Ann 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2