Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:06:20 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
This regarding the MRSA question.? Check out Breastfeeding Outlook Issue I 2007.? Marie has an excellent article I think you can get it at www.breastfeedingoutlook.com.? 
We had a patient who delivered and supposedly her wound was not draining and our Infectious Disease lady said it was safe to breastfeed. 
We really discouraged her from sending the baby to main nursery at nite.? She wanted the baby circumcised and the OB didn't think it was an issue.
They did it just prior to discharge.? She felt like she was a being discriminated against because we urged her to do body checks and keep away from the sites of her infection.? Then I got Marie's article.?We reminded her that her holding her baby helped boost her baby's immune system. ?
We again had a lady who had osteo with MRSA and she was sent to a med surg floor for recovery becasue of her issues of not only infection, but uncontrolled diabetes and equipment.?Her baby was in NICU.? I reminded them that the article spoke about the MRSA and premie situation.? After a week she was allowed to visit her baby and she was pumping EBM (she had been pumping and dumping until okay to send milk to nursery).
MRSA is not just a noscomial infection any longer, it is now community based.? Patients can get it from gym equipment.? It can start as a infected hair follicle.something as innocent as shaving your legs prior to a pedicure could be a set up.
We should be asking our patient's or clients about pimples and "wounds" that just don't seem to get better.? Hand washing is critical.? We need to look and assess and refer and tell Mom's to keep areas clean, dry and if they are using medications and they don't seem to be doing the job to tell Mom to advocate for a culture.? 
There was a good article about 2 years ago in Nursing Spectrum on Community Based MRSA and was easily understood.
Good luck,
Leanne Jewell RNC,IBCLC, LCCE, FACCE
S Fl

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2