Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:18:33 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Hello Lactnetters, 
I have been very intersted in the "Happiest Baby" discussion. I have found the soothing techniques to be very helpful in certain instances. I can't imagine most parents leaving their babies swaddled like that most of the day.

Here are a couple of statements taken directly from the First Candle website(SIDS prevention). It is listed under "You're Expecting a Baby - Now what?" Swaddling is mention but doesn't seem to be the issue as long as it is done properly. I think the overheating is important to point out to parents - even without swaddling I have seen babies with thick sleepers & thick blankets. (I live in Central Florida!)
Laura Hart
Winter Park, Florida

Click on Hospital stay:
Can swaddling be helpful and is it safe? Experts feel that swaddling can be helpful for some newborns by making them more comfortable and secure when sleeping on their back. It may help ease the symptoms of colic as well. Take care to swaddle properly and securely, but not too tightly. It is important that the blanket not come loose and pose a danger to the baby. Once your baby becomes wiggly and squiggly, it might be a good time to discontinue swaddling. 

Click on Welcome home:
Take care not to overheat your baby. Overheating is considered to be a leading risk factor for SIDS. Be sure that you don't overheat your baby with too much clothing and/or bedding and keep room temperature at what would be comfortable for a lightly clothed adult. When bringing baby in from the outside, remember to remove outwear and other coverings immediately, and do not use blankets or other coverings as a weather or sun screen.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2