Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:23:46 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Robert, another source, and one I cite to my mothers, is the late Prof Hugh Jolly, in:

Jolly H.  Book of Child Care.  London: Sphere Books, 1977.

Elsewhere (from memory, but I cannot find the item), he had stated that there is "no wind in Czechoslavia", at least during that period.  I cited Jolly and speculated as follows in one of my books, written under my previous surname:

Phillips V. Feeding Baby and Child. Melbourne: Hyland House, 1992, pp. 61-62.

(excerpt, pp. 51-62):

"The 'burping' question
"There are differing views on whether a baby needs to be 'burped' to expel an air bubble (or 'wind') from the stomach.  Our culture puts a good deal of emphasis on bringing up the baby's 'wind', and it is commonly believed, by mothers and nurses alike, that the baby will be more comfortable, and so settle better, if a bubble of air is brought up.  One authority, Dr Hugh Jolly, believes that our preoccupation with 'wind' is unnecessary, based on the information that burping is unknown in some cultures.  His viewpoint can be found in his Book of Child Care.   However, practices which are culturally based - and burping is very much a part of our culture's infancy practices - can be very comforting to follow, and may have some value.  Burping does seem to settle some babies after a time ... and this may partly be due to its meeting the baby's need for being held and given close skin contact, which is provided by the close holding and stroking involved in the various positions for burping.  There is always the possibility that some babies, like some adults, are air-swallowers, and may need help in burping."
    [I go on to advise against trying to burp a baby who goes to sleep on ending a feed.]

I've said, elsewhere, that we live in a culture where mothers are often discouraged from carrying round or cuddling their babies, because of insistence from others that this is "spoiling".  "Burping" is a *culturally acceptable* way of providing this carrying and holding.

Virginia
            in Brisbane  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2