Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 05:02:56 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Yes, I have had two moms with this issue in the 10 years I've been in California.  Both were able to go to breastfeeding once the baby grew to be able to handle that sized nipple. (It helps that babies have "explosive" head growth that first year!)

Both babies were full-term, but it still took over 3 months of pumping and bottle feeding (with the largest nipple we could find).  Mom was taught to bottle feed with the nipple as deeply as baby would take it - and to have baby suck on mom or dad's THUMB for comfort.  Once it seemed to us that the baby would be able to nurse, we used a nipple shield (which barely could be stretched over the nipple) to get the baby used to being "at the breast" but in 24 hours baby was breastfeeding.  Even though it was then called the "Australian hold" we used the "laid back" position to encourage a deep latch. It worked very well.  

These cases convinced me of the fact that "nipple confusion" (now many call "flow confusion) could be overcome with adequate milk supply.  Both moms POURED milk out when baby latched on - so baby figured out quickly that this would work...

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2