Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:45:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I have followed the yeast discussion with great interest.  I have finally obtained donor breast milk from the NC milk bank, and persuaded my husband with pancreatic cancer to take it daily.  However, and I realize that this may be off topic, he has developed thrush in the esophagus and throat.  The cause is the treatment regimen, lowered immune response, and everything else. He is being treated with diflucan and improving.

I have assured him that the breast milk is NOT the culprit, for the reasons stated on Lactnet, but he is now unwilling to drink the milk.  

If there is anyone more familiar with usage by adults, I would appreciate further evidence of safety, so that I can hopefully persuade him to try it again.  I am attempting to contact Dr. David Van Thiel at Loyola U in Chicago, who prescribes donor milk for his liver transplant patients to raise their IgA levels, in hopes that he can also help to clarify this issue.

The more we all know about thrush, its sequelae and etiology in humans, the better we can assist moms and babies who we so frequently see with this problem.

Patricia Ellis, RN, MA, IBCLC
central NJ

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2