Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2015 23:36:55 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I have been in the ancestral/paleo/primal arena for almost 6 years now.  From everything I have learned it can be boiled down very simply: relatively speaking breastfeeding is not new but processed foods are.  In my experience the vast majority of women do not eat enough protein or fat and that is exposed when they cut out processed foods.  They often do not eat enough in general.  So for a breastfeeding woman interested in one of those diets or lifestyles i caution to eat enough, eat lots of protein and healthy fats, maintain adequate water intake, and eat a variety. The Whole30 is really popular right now and i see it in a lot of the breastfeeding Facebook groups.  Could this be what your client was asking about?  For breastfeeding or pregnant women they (Melissa and Dallas Hartwig of Whole9, creators of the Whole30) suggest a somewhat modified version of the plan, so that is also good to know and pass along.  

I've done several Whole30's over the last few years and did one when my son was around 2-3 months old in order to hold myself more accountable to eating real foods.  It was not about weight loss, just health and making sure i was taking care of myself.  It isn't as drastic of a diet/lifestyle as it sounds once you think about processed foods being unnecessary in the first place.  Think about tribal communities - they are usually eating real food, breastfeeding for many years, get adequate sleep, exercise, socialization, and practice natural community-based lifestyles.  

Lastly, a ketogenic diet- is this what she specifically said or what you interpreted it to be? I only bring this up as something to consider because i often see people very taken aback by the idea to cut out grains/processed foods/etc (and think it is ketogenic or atkins when it is not).  For clarity, these are not the same as paleo, primal, or a Whole30 and none of these mandate low calorie intake.  These diet/lifestyles all tend to be in a similar camp, though, and are loosely encompassed by the larger ancestral health movement. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2