Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 14:53:44 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
WOW! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED (AT ALL HOURS OF NIGHT I MIGHT SAY).  Thank you Laurie Wheeler for the suggested videos, the Global Health Media "compression video" was really helpful!  And to Sonja,  I used (with credit to you) your "Great Pretender" reference, and to Jeannette and Chris...YOU WERE ALL WITH ME IN SPIRIT!! 

Mom was worried about the content of her milk but I told her it looked great.  While no IVF issues, I did find out that both mom and HER MOM were both born 1 month premature...just like baby!

I met with Mom, Dad and Grandma today and worked with the "team" for about 2/12 hours.  Mom was put on nipple shields in the hospital because of abrasions and bruising on breast, mom said baby was actually latching "above" the nipple on the RT side, and not the actual nipple...why this was not spotted at the hospital, I have no idea.

Today's update:  Baby fed on RT side for 14 minutes and pulled off, mom was still using the nipple shield. There was NO MILK in the shield at all, and I brought a scale for the WFW, baby's weight didn't change ONE BIT from the RT side feed.  We heard swallows but I have to think it was so little that nothing happened!  We burped baby, and put him on the LFT side. I had mom use the nipple shield for just about 1 minute and then I had her release baby, remove nipple shield and relatch the baby in Football.  Baby fed on the LFT side for 20 min and transferred 1.2 oz!  

I had mom rent a hospital pump yesterday so she has been pumping after every other feed.  After feeding on both breasts, I fed 28 ml to the baby using the "pace bottle feed technique" to show the "team" how to feed the bottle.  He had a great feed, and fell asleep HAPPY!  

I left the scale, so they could weigh the baby, but I made them promise me only 1x's a day...don't go crazy!  Mom is going to try to wean off the nipple shield, when baby is at breast.

Pediatrician recommended pumping after every other feed and give the baby 15 ml, 6x's a day.  We agreed that the POC at this time should be for mom to pump after every feed for 10-15 min., and then top off baby with EBM after EVERY FEED not every other.  Baby is getting between 20-30 ml after every feed.  She has to check in with the doctor by phone on Thursday, and we have another appointment together.  

I think the issues were the nipple shield, not allowing him to transfer, because we definitely saw a difference between the side using the shield and the one w/o.  And I also think that (as you have all said) his age, and the fact that the buccinator muscles aren't fully developed are all factors.  We have a plan in place, #1 RULE..FEED THE BABY!  I'll keep you all posted, but any feedback is so very appreciated!

Cheers!

Kimberly Bianco

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2