Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:42:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Last year I was lamenting about the sorry state of my breastfeeding class and how neither I nor my students seemed as enthusiastic about them anymore (13 yrs.+ doing this class).  However, I have revamped the class and it is going very well.  The biggest change was going from slide-based teaching (with a little other stuff thrown in) to a mainly video-based experience.  We have several videos that I am using short clips from in order to illustrate various points.  The best one I have is one entitled "Infant Cues - A Feeding Guide" produced by Janet Rourke and the Texas Dept. of Health from Mark-It TV.  What's really great about it is that there is no talking, just background music and lots of close-up shots of babies latching asymetrically with their noses lined up with mom's nipple.  It allows me to talk and point things out as the video is running.  It is not very long, but very effective and includes short sections on the whole process of breastfeeding from infant cues through satiated babies coming off the breast.  Iv'e tried to make sure that there are only very short periods of time during class when we are not watching a video or playing with dolls or balloons or passing things around - trying to keep things moving at all times.  I am also going to order Linda Smiths teaching stuff to see if there isn't at least one or two things that I could work in.  Anyways, I am looking forward to teaching again and the class reviews are better with more participation and enthusiasm from the parents.

Thanks again to all of you who offered advice and sympathized with me during my "down" period.  I would encourage anyone who teaches to continue to offer us all glimpses into your techniques - I am always looking for new ways to skin the proverbial cat.
Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2