Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:55:54 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Dear all:

I have a question that probably seems remedial for many of you, but after an archive search that
only turned up information on the legal/fear aspects of extended breastfeeding, I submit the
following question:

How long is breastmilk solely able to sustain a baby/toddler?  Does the addition of solids become
crucial to the child's health at a certain age?  The baby in question is 10 months old, 24 pounds,
nursing 5-8 times per day, 1 or 2 at night.  Baby has given up interest in solids almost completely.

Nutritional information from the ped suggests that weaning is natural from 4-7 months (!), and any
longer than that shows over-emotional dependence on the breast.  Suggests that full quantities of
protein, veggies, fruit, cereals, etc.  be part of the babies' diet daily.  Mom tries to offer food
prior to nursing, but baby waits for the b-milk.  Obviously, these charts and graphs cause anxiety
for the mom, whose baby does not seem the least bit interested in what they say!

Is this a normal nursing scenario?  If so, at what point does the mom need to be concerned with
additional foods?  12 months?  18 months?

Thank you for your replies - I hope this is not too basic.

Anne Andis

ATOM RSS1 RSS2