Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 22:02:06 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Wendy,
Wow, your frustration at the blatantly incorrect information about breastfeeding from
the ped came through loud and clear.  I guess I had hoped such poor information was not
given out these days...wrong!  To the drs on Lactnet, I wonder about the managed care
aspect of this.  Many HMO's advertise that participants can call the referral lines and
get all kinds of info about the dr, such as areas of special interest, hours,
schooling...what about indicating in a ped's profile whether s/he is supportive of
breastfeeding?  Of course, no md, especially after the recent AAP guidelines would state
"DOES NOT SUPPORT BREASTFEEDING."  However, much can be interpreted from the absence of
a statement like "SUPPORTS BREASTFEEDING."  Do HMO'S include such info in their
profiles?
Another idea...if the dr won't meet with you, how about asking if you can meet with the
nursing staff for a "free lunch" and do an inservice, complete with handouts.  In
reality, however, the info this doctor gave out sounded like more than just inaccurate;
it sounded like it really was meant to undermine the breastfeeding relationship.
Sorry for the rambling...I would like to hope progress can be made here, but I'm
doubtful...Lee-Ann Halbert, LLLL, IBCLC, 2 weeks from BSN!

ATOM RSS1 RSS2