Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:10:06 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Leilani writes: 

<<I have a new mom with a 7 day old baby who has severe pain due to her Raynauds. Baby was also diagnosed with stage 3 frenulum and was clipped 3 days ago. Does anyone have any suggestions to help in this kind of situation? She has pain even pumping! Her milk supply is in jeopardy because of her pain and unable to relax. Mom is currently taking Moringa to boost her supply, baby is using the breastflow bottle to help with the supplementation. She tried tube and syringe at breast but is frustrated with it. She is also going to start taking ginkgo biloba.>> 

With the mothers I have worked with that exhibit vasospasm symptoms, I usually suggest they try heat after nursing. I suggest they have a heating pad on the low setting sitting on a towel beside them as they nurse. As they move from the first side to the next side, they put the towel against the breast to keep the nipple warm, since cold can exacerbate the symptoms. Once warmed the towel goes back under the heating pad to be ready for the end of the other side. This can be done before and after pumping and she may need to warm the breast shields before she begins. If it is a mild case of vasospasm, that is usually all that is needed. 

If the heat does not bring relief, is the mother interested in trying a medication? Nifedipine has been very effective in these cases. You can offer the information from Hale regarding dosages. You can also consult the case study I did on Reynaud's published in the Journal of Human Lactation - J Hum Lact November 2002 vol. 18 no. 4 382-385 - f or more discussion on this topic. 

Cindy Garrison BS IBCLC 

working in Pittsburgh PA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2