Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 07:47:20 +0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (67 lines)
The Medela ad is a violation of the laws that protect breast
Dear All,

The Medela ad is a violation of the laws that protect breastfeeding in our country and of the letter and spirit of the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes and other Related Products because it features bottles and rubber nipples. 

If you think that breastpumps can help breastfeeding mothers, there are also a lot of mothers who were disempowered to breastfeed because when they pump and they don't see voluminous amounts of breastmilk, they think that the baby is not getting enough. Fact is not all women can be stimulated by a plastic gadget to have a letdown. The baby or the mothers' hands can do a much better job in getting the breastmilk to flow.

For mothers who are so experienced in breastfeeding their babies, a letdown can be triggered by a pump, but for those mothers who have just delivered a preterm baby or her first baby or another baby whose older siblings were not breastfed successfully, a pump can sometimes intimidate the letdown and a vicious cycle of lack of confidence and low milk supply ensues. As we all know, the newborn baby's stomach is only as small as a quail's egg and the quantity of the initial colostrum can be from 10 - 100 mls. A new or inexperienced mother may interpret this as insufficient milk supply. If the mother is disempowered not to breastfeed immediately after birth for several days by hospital staff or well-meaning relatives at home, she may experience engorgement and expressing the breastmilk using a pump may not also trigger a letdown.

I know that some BF organization are partnering with them but I heard that the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine refused partnership with them during their last international meeting. 

A food for thought! Have a great week ahead of you!

Nona D. Andaya-Castillo, IBCLC
Philippines

Nurturers of the Earth: 
A support group for earth-friendly parenting, vegetarians and vegetarians-in-progress
Heal our bodies! Heal our earth!

The Breastfeeding Clinic:
Your Partner from Pregnancy to Parenting
(Managed by two of the only five International Board Certified Lactation Consultants in the country)
Nona D. Andaya-Castillo, IBCLC
Elvira L. Henares-Esguerra, MD, FPDS, RPh, IBCLC
Landlines: 7014414 and 701-4430
Mobile: 63-919-839-5555

Date:    Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:21:02 -0700
Subject: Medela TV Ad on YouTube

I just watched it.  It's great.  Is this the ad that triggered the
commotion?  It's a really nice advertisement for breast milk, if you ask me.

Jay 

Date:    Sat, 14 Mar 2009 17:06:42 +0900
Subject: Re: Unthink Medela

Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The Medela tv ad has disappeared off the internet.

If you do a search on Youtube for Think Medela, you'll find it:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNZspA2Ef7w>

Lara Hopkins

How can I tell if my jewelry is real silver? Find Out on Yahoo! Answers. http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2