Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:03:44 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Hello fellow BF supporters,
I have searched the archives for an answer but didn't find what I was looking for so I hope it is okay to submit this for the group to respond.

Senario:

Baby 1d old (C/S) received circumcision (with penil lido block)and is bleeding from the circ site approx 30minutes later.  Pressure applied to circ, baby restrained by 2 other nurses, crying.  Baby vigorously kicking legs making it difficult to apply pressure.  Attempts to sooth him by placing a artificial nipple in his mouth aren't working.  Since he won't stop crying a decision is made to give him D5 per bottle.

Mom is hispanic with limited english skills.  She was not aware of the problems and was not informed of baby being given D5.  Baby out after episode to nurse and won't nurse.  Mom asking 'why isn't he hungry?'.   When informed baby received a bottle she replied 'I'm breastfeeding'.

Staff involved approached and asked what do we do about this mother who didn't know her baby was given D5.

Answer:  She can't speak english, baby needed something because he was bleeding and wouldn't settle, it was only 1/2 ounce, you (me) are making too much of this, we give the babies sugar water before the circs all the time, And IF I was that mother I would want something to make my baby more comfortable.

Does anyone have a response to this??  My response was: we have a policy that we don't give supplements to BF babies, Why wasn't the mom brought down to help settle the baby?  We can't take the decision away from the mom to give stuff to babies.

I was told that I am only making enemies, am way over the top with this, and need to just drop it!  

Does anyone out there give D5 for comfort???  I know there is research about pre-circ, but is that also for babies that do get a lido block?  Does anyone give D5 for circ comfort, or to settle an infant for any reason????

Thanks, really need the support.

Just call me MUD
lucy

Cooler by the lake II

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2