Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 07:02:47 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Two questions have been puzzling me or a while, to do with cow's milk pasteurisation vs what we know about human antibacterial activity.  What made pasteurisation important/desirable?  I have a notion that we used to catch TB from cows' milk, is this right?   

Diane W posted about gelatinous strands in cows' milk being related (probably) to Staph aureus, and that they disappear when the milk is poured back and forth or left to stand - probably much like human milk becoming less contaminated if allowed to stand after pumping.  So one assumes Staph is not the issue when pasteurising.

It's just that I've read in two (suspect) sources lately that mothers with TB cannot breastfeed.  My information is that (in South Africa) mom and baby are treated together and sent home breastfeeding.  Obviously the key issue is treatment.  Does anyone know if TB in human milk is neutralised or not by antibodies, and if not, why not?  Why are some bacteria attacked by breast milk and not others?

I had some gelatinous milk the other day in coffee at my brother's farm (one cow, home use, no pasteurisation).  It didn't taste any different, though it was certainly off-putting seeing those "egg-white" strands.  Made me wonder if some babies refuse the breast after mastitis not only because of milk tasting salty, but because of its *texture*.

Jacquie Nutt
In the heart of the winelands, Western Cape, South Africa.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2