Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:52:41 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Ok, I am sure you all go through this from time to time.  Someone who isn't a lactation consultant or ever counselor contradicting you in a public place.  I am trying to keep my temper but it seems to get the better of me sometimes!

Here is the question.... I am having an argument with a woman from another list who is NOT an IBCLC or CLC or formally educated in breastfeeding at all.  The question arose about a mom who was having bleeding at 7-8 weeks pp after not having bled for more than 3 weeks.  She asked if this could be a period or pp bleeding coming back.  I told her that depended on a few things, and even though it was highly unlikely that it was her menses returning since she was exclusively breastfeeding, it was possible.  I have seen it before in clients that I have counseled.  How did we come to the conclusion that it was their menses?  Well they were clock work regular from about 6 weeks pp, every 28 days.  Having had 2 two children and 3 miscarriages, I kind of have a good idea of what lochia vs. a period is.  I have been able to tell women what the difference is and told them that if they have any questions they can always ask their HCP.  

Now tell me... has anyone else experienced this?  Women getting their menses back even though they are exclusively breastfeeding?  I have seen it more than once.  My guess is just that like all labors are different and all bfing relationships are different, so are all women's bodies, and they don't always go by the text book of what their bodies "should" be doing.

Melisa (who is trying to keep her temper about her!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
IBCLC Exam Candidate
Homeopathic Counselor in training
www.nurturingmama.com  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2