Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:23:03 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
The LLL philosophy is the gold standard for anyone supporting women to successfully breastfeed but I'm wondering if someone from LLL could respond to my question, (a few days ago) re LLL's position of "protecting" breastfeeding women from the commercial pressure to artificially feed (read the formula companies unethical and aggressive marketing).  

If all women had prenatal classes that taught them "how breastfeeding works" we wouldn't have to worry about the marketing of formula but that is not the case. 

Breastfeeding is being promoted as the best way to feed babies and many women do want to breastfeed, (in my province that number is about 97%) but many try and do not succeed because the formula companies are educating their health professionals.  I believe, "It is not fair to encourage women to breastfeed and then not control the marketing that undermines them".

Two years ago, another LC and I stopped Nestle from doing a wine and dine "educational" session on infant feeding, (at a fancy hotel).  Nestle emailed to say they would find another way to get their education out and they likely did!  Guess who promoted Nestlé's wine and dine?  We got the invitation from our manager through the hospital's email system where we were working as LC's. 

When we met with our manager, she told us the WHO / UNICEF materials we gave her were propaganda and in the next breath she told us that the Nestle rep was really nice and gave her books.  Uh huh!  As we know there are lots of health professionals out there who don't get it ... yet ... and in the meantime mothers are trying to breastfeed in this environment. 

Would someone like to comment?

Renee (in Vancouver, Canada)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2