Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:49:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Dear all:

In our discussions of sippy cups there have been a couple of notions proposed that I think 
need to be put in a different light.

#1) Snacking is bad.  In fact snacking is the healthiest way to eat provided the foods and 
liquids are good.  Currently there are at least two books that contend 4 meals a day is 
sufficient for 3-6 month olds. Trying to stuff a large enough quantity in 4 meals (hopefully 
of milk, preferably species specific) into 3-6 month olds might be good training for a 
Nathan's hotdog eating contest, but is by no means healthy.  Babies and toddlers MUST 
snack.

#2) Sipping fluids frequently is bad.  Again, this depends upon what the fluids are.  Once 
solids are in the picture, water is an excellent fluid -- sugar free --- calorie free and 
extremely important today where it will reach record highs of 90 degrees. Sipping it 
frequently is better at your own pace is better than gulping it down on someone else's 
schedule.  I'm sure other parts of the country are having a hot day as well. There was a 
Pediatrics article this month that showed that obesity declined when they educated school 
children to drink water and made sure to have plenty of water fountains in the school.  

Currently, I may have ruffled feathers because a petition was sent around among the 
schools to remove growth hormone from the milk in schools.  Milk in schools is an 
anachronism left over from the dairy and agricultural industry convincing us we needed a 
whole food group devoted to dairy.  So, the thought entered my head that best way to 
remove any dangers would be to remove milk entirely.  (Of course no politician would 
survive enacting such a radical notion.)  In my son's school, the composition of his class 
is sufficiently diverse that many children are likely to be lactose intolerant, and some 
may have allergies to milk.  Water is something EVERY child can drink.  And sipping it 
frequently is not going to cause eating disorders regardless of the container you use.

Best, Susan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2