Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 23:38:08 +0300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I wonder how we all survived!  I was a war baby, my mother was already 40 with two older children and very stressed out. She was told that having another baby might be good for her nerves. So here I am!
I think my older brothers were breastfed but I was not and, so the story goes,  we were all herded into the shelter when the sirens started - and, with the bombs dropping on London,  our mother stayed in the kitchen preparing enough bottles for me in case we had a long air-raid.  How much easier it would have been for her to breastfeed.
When I was about two the doctor told my mother I was too thin and I was fed cod-liver-oil and malt each day.  I expect the formula was National Dried Milk so it is miraculous that I grew up sort of normal, albeit a permanent member of Weight Watchers.
For gas pains, babies were given "gripe water" which then contained alcohol.
Even when my first son was born in 1964 and I had problems breastfeeding because he was handed to me every four hours for ten minutes each side, I was told to go home and buy Carnation Milk for him.
So we can really see that the awareness of breastfeeding and its health benefits has only drastically increased in the last 25 years, credit due to our wonderful breastfeeding support organizations.
Will it take another 25 years to educate the medical profession to provide quality support and reinforcement?

Wendy Blumfield
NCT ANT Tutor/BFC
Israel Childbirth Education Centre

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2