Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:32:55 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Has anyone else seen the documentary "Milk?" that was released last year? It's rather terrifying actually. The filmmaker did a great job of remaining unbiased, I think. But in it he presents research from several scientists that the moderate benefit that humans receive from drinking cows milk, calcium, for example. It's vastly outweighed by the negative affects on our health such as exposure to estrogen and progesterone, and the increased risk of stomach cancer. As I was watching the movie, of course, I couldn't stop thinking about infants who have this milk as their sole source of food for the entire first year of life, and the impact on their future health. If you have amazon prime, you can download the documentary for free. I think it's worth watching. Why do we think cows milk is a great milk to make formula from? I'm not sure. It really surprised me how many people haven't heard that maybe human beings shouldn't be drinking milk from other animal
 species. One of my favorite quotes was from a doctor who said in order to make cow's milk healthy for you, all you need to do is remove the proteins and lactose which trigger allergies, the fat which is bad for your cholesterol and the hormones which cause cancer, so basically what you are left with at that point is water. Maybe we should just drink more water....

Sincerely,

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2