Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 22:19:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
 There are lost of things I would explore here, including diet, especially as relates to inflammation and gut health, structural concerns and endocrine balance. I do not always assume moms are not making milk--sometimes it is oxytocin that is inhibited. I have had several moms who only established a normal supply after a week on syntocinon and have a friend who "had no milk" until she was adjusted by a chiropractor. As to herbs--it is not those of us who are knowledgeable in the use of herbs who keep pushing fenugreek--it is usually recommended by those who know very little about herbs and even then, most mothers take far too little or take it in caps, which is the least effective way to take it. I never use it alone, as always in a tea. A mom with no milk need sot be taking goat's rue, which I use in combination with a half dozen other herbs as well as shatavari and sometimes vitex, supplements and nourishing foods. It depends upon the mom's commitment in terms of how many things we try. Certainly, IMO, using a supplemeter at the breast provides far better stimulation for supply than expressing, so long as the baby can feed efficiently. Acupuncture, homeopathy, EFT and Bach Flowers can all be very useful.

I do think, though, that we need to consider that women who were not themselves breastfed are at greater risk of being unable to breastfeed their own babies and that we are tampering significantly with our DNA through exposure to garbage nutrition and environmental toxins. 

IMO, the body is designed to work and is always seeks homeostasis. Healing is always possible.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Date:    Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:52:49 -0500
Subject: Re: Non-domperidon prolactine stimulation?

So, what if the mom has no known symptoms of PCOS?  No cysts, easy, well held 
pregnancies, goes into labor on her own.  Breasts appear full, round, even feels 
like there's ductile tissue there, but NO colostrum before birth, nothing 
leaking and non that I could get out with expression, and days after birth very 
little milk even with lots of stimulation - mostly from hand expression. one 
client i am thinking of doesn't respond to fenugreek.  IS there a possiblility 
that for no other reason someone just can't make milk?  Or is there always an 
underlying reason that we can find?  And how many needles are in the haystack?  
What can we test for?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2