Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:47:34 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Pamela Morrison from Harare wrote

<A colleague here keeps asking
me how this mom is doing, as she remembers your concerns too.

Any news?>
Dear Pamela
I haven't written about the outcomes of this on Lactnet.  Haven't had enough time to keep up with reading the posts!
The woman was delivered by caesarean of an apparently healthy baby girl about a month ago.  She had decided a week or so before the birth to suppress her lactation - I think I wrote about the total scare tactics that were used on her by the paediatrician.  She was given fresh milk by several women, and used this in hospital.  We have no milk banking system in Australia.  The donor women had negative serology for hepatitis B&C and HIV.
One woman in particular had a large supply of expressed milk in her freezer, and was happy to give it away.  She has continued to express extra, and as a result this baby has been predominantly breastmilk fed for the first month.  
The donor woman has been emotionally touched by the need of the HIV+ woman and her baby, who she has not met.  She (the donor) told me that initially she was quite horrified, shocked, upset &c, as she had never thought about a life threatening situation like this before.  Now she said she is very keen to help get milk banking happening, so that babies can be given good milk.
The recipient woman phoned me a couple of days ago.  She is overwhelmed by the generosity and concern of the other woman.  Her baby is well (is receiving antiviral therapy), and she is also keen to help in any way she can to make it easier for other women with special needs.
I believe there has been a lot of important ground work done as a result of this woman's quest for information.
Thanks for asking
Joy Johnston
Midwife and lactation consultant
[log in to unmask] 
www.webrider.net.au/~aitex/joy.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2