Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:09:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
 This one reason why I really dislike elimination diets. Moms suffer and they often fail to solve the problem. First, I had one mom whose baby only had two allergens--eggs and chicken (same animal). Besides, if the baby is allergic to corn--the chickens are fed corn. So, IMO chicken is just a bad choice. Most strict elimination diets use turkey, not chicken. Also, I had a mom recently off many foods--she eliminated all the ones her previous baby had been allergic to--but rice was the culprit she was still eating. Any food can be an allergen.

Which comes back to my approach, which is you must heal the mother to heal the baby. The baby was born with the mother's antigens. Mom has a leaky gut. This is no reason to give AIM. It is a reason to take an active holistic approach to caring for this family. If you live in an area where someone does muscle testing for allergies, find that person and talk to him/her. See what the successes are, what the level of experience is, etc. Otherwise, have the mother do an ALCAT test for her own allergens--the baby likely has many of the same sensitivities as the mother. These are NOT done by an allergist, but by a holistic provider, such as a naturopath. Be careful there, too, b/c many naturopaths are quick to put babies on goat milk formula--most get no education in breastfeeding either.

It sounds as if mom has done nothing to heal her gut or the baby's gut. I use a combination of things depending on the family, such as digestive enzymes (not only pancrease and only plant-based), probiotics for mom and baby, slippery elm for healing baby's gut and other things depending on the history. I would, also be getting this baby some bodywork--CST or chiro or the like. Castor oil compresses on the baby's belly would be very beneficial. I also use Bach Flowers. There is so much more that can be done for this family.

If you take a bullet out of a wound, you do not just leave it there to hopefully heal itself. You clean it and dress it and use appropriate medicine. With allergies, we just think removing the bullet will solve the problem--often not.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2