Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:23:54 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Dear wise ones,

I would first like to express my thanks to all of you out there who make this such a terrific digest.  I learn so much from all of you and I look forward to reading lactnet each day. I am asking for assistance with 2 situations I have run into recently.
2 of the mothers with whom I have been working with have questions which I have permission to post.  Both have babies about 4 months of age.

First is one mother who has a clear cut need to supplement and has been struggling with supply issues since day 1 (elderly primip with breast reduction surgery). She wants to supplement with organic baby formula.  One of the well known formula brands makes an organic formula but it contains DHA and AHA (how can that be called organic?). This is the only one that the pediatric dietician at my hospital knows about.  Does anyone on the list know about any research into commercially available organic formulas?

The next is a baby issue. Mother does not have signs of oversupply, overactive MER.  This little girl was diagnosed with severe reflux and esophagitis.  She was hospitalized for 4 days because she refused to feed anything and anyway.  It was clear that she had severe pain associated with feeding.  She has had several different GI meds tried on her, and she has gradually started to nurse and gain a little weight. The problem is that the baby will only nurse while she is sleeping and the mother is waking every 1 1/2 to 2 hours during the night to get her to breastfeed and when she naps during the day.  Has anyone experienced a baby like this?  In the past few days she has actually nursed and awoken and continued to feed a couple of times. We are hoping that this is something that is going to improve with time, as her esophagitis heals.  But the pediatric gastrologist has not been able to tell her anything and I am stumped.

I look forward to your feedback,

Mary Westra RN, IBCLC
South Florida
(and just back from Haiti where I was saddened to see advertisements promoting bottle feeding)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2