Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:20:38 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (45 lines)
Angela Alfe <[log in to unmask]> wrote: IWomen are raised with the idea that birthing is a horrific, painful, and
life-threatening event.  It is sad that they don't know or trust their own
bodies enough to let go and let it do what it was made to do.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear friends,

I just want to share a TV show I watched yesterday night (maybe my fellow Dutchies recognize it: BNN's ''Try before you die'')
It was an example of a perfectly normal Dutch home birth. The mom was in the parental bed, husband sitting next to her head, caressing her. Midwife was somewhere else in the room, quietly waiting for the dilation to progress, occasionally checking. Then, when she approached full dilation, mom started growling and then yelling. Then she reached the point where she told to just go on without her, she wasn't going to continue this. No one really payed attention to that, of course, but continued observing and caressing. (in my personal experience this equals about 8-9 centimeters). Next stage is full dilation and pushing and screaming. No one was telling her to not scream, because it was obvious that here was hard work being done. She reached the fase that she yelled to the midwife or whoever was around to ''get it out, now, no matter what or how'' (in my personal experience that was the point just before the crowning). Then baby was born and put on her belly.
It was a perfect birth and no one thought of her telling she was in too much pain. She was working really hard and that can hurt and it can cause yelling, screaming, growling (think of weight lifters and such). 
Such a pity that she still had her T shirt on when baby was put on top of her and that baby was taken too the foot-end of the bed to be rubbed dry, examined and dressed and that finally back at moms no-one noticed the rooting (tongue licking, fist suckling)

Just to show that even when birth is wonderfully normal and physiological, breastfeeding start can be messed up just as easy as everywhere.

Warmly,
Gonneke, IBCLC, LLLL in southern Netherlands, about to go and bake ''oliebollen'' another traditional New Year's Eve treat, like doughnuts without hole and filled with raisins, preserved orange peels and stuff like that.

Met vriendelijke groet, 

Gonneke van Veldhuizen, IBCLC 
lactatiekundige

www.eurolac.net
  praktijk voor lactatiekunde
  centrum voor borstvoeding informatie en educatie

www.eurolac.net/forum

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2