Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:55:27 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
A nursing mother showed me a Hallmark Card she had just received for her birthday - it read on the cover:  "Whoever said there's no use crying over spilled milk obviously never pumped six ounces, then accidentally dumped it! "  The inside said:  "Hang in there.  You're doing fine."

This is the first card I have ever seen relating to pumping or breastmilk.

Also, does anyone know about a product called "milkscreen - home test for alcohol in breast milk"  It provides 3 test strips for the mother to drop her breastmilk on and after 2 minutes she is supposedly able to tell if her milk has a level of 0.02% or less of alcohol in it.  The advertisement says "pediatrician and lactation consultant recommended"
I read all the literature and did not see any specific names.

During the past 2 months,  I have had at least 3 mothers call me to say that their Dr.(  3 different Dr's)  told them to stop BF because the baby was "lactose intolerant" -  I have read several   references  - I had previously understood that it is difficult to accurately detect "lactose intolerance" until closer to a year .  I tried to work with the mothers on "detecting" if there was something in their diet  - but eventually they just gave up and put the babies on one of the specialized formulas.  In one case the mother stated that her baby did not seem to have any discomfort and was gaining well, but continued to have very loose and frequent stools ( 17 +)  with very little consistency or  formation.  This mother did cut out dairy and things improved a bit, but not totally  - The baby was checked for infection/ stool culture etc. all negative.

Are there any other recommendations I should have considered?  We did the  "foremilk/hindmilk" things such as pumping a bit first, breast massage, we tried to look at other possible allergies, keeping a food diary, eliminating one food at a time  - still not total improvement.

Did I miss something??

Thanks for any ideas I should have explored -
Evelyn Landry, RN, IBCLC, RLC
Lafayette, Louisiana
[log in to unmask] ( work)
[log in to unmask]  ( home)

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and priviledged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2