Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 19:51:04 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
I'm always in favor of keeping my options open.

Re-certing is difficult now, but how much more difficult to do "later" when the children are older? You will have to get ALL the required CERPs instead of a few to catch up. But that's a good thing since what we know now changes so rapidly. But when, exactly, IS "later"?

There's something to be said for momentum, for "bird in the hand", and for not closing doors to opportunities. Try the time-worn Pro & Con exercise: two columns on each of two papers. One paper is recertifying: list all the Pro's and Con's. The other paper is not recertifying and officially putting away your business: list all the Pro's and Con's. Write as fast as you can until no more ideas come out, then put them away. Next day or two, bring them out and put a value on each item, or rank them in a way that is meaningful to you. Well before you complete this exercise, I think you will have your own answer.

I did my 10 year re-cert in 2003, by CERPs again in '08, but will be seriously thinking like you are in 2013 - a few years past retirement then. 

Been there - done that re: attending college and studying with children busy in many activities: 2 divisions of Little League, DCI Drum & Bugle Corps, school activities.... it never ends. Been thru MANY times of thinking, "I just can't DO this any more!" But for me, it all turned out to be preparation for my own future when they are all grown and gone - and they are....

Just my 2ml worth of opinion.

Phyllis

---- Amy Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 
> I am due to recertify this year and was hoping to do so in time for the early-bird discount, which I think was in February.  I have some CERP work pending but would still need to order several more independent modules to get the required hours.  I can't bring myself to do it in light of all that has gone on.  My private practice is "sleeping" for a while until I can put more into it when my children are older so I'm not active now but I would like to revive my practice in future years.  Is it worth it?  For those who are due to recertify this year, what have you decided?  There has been a lot of talk of just dropping it...has anyone decided to really do that?  
> 
> There's a part of me that wants to hang onto my certification just because I can, however miserable someone tries to make my implementation of it.  Call me stubborn; it won't be the first time!  But really, maybe I'm not stubborn enough to waste money on this, especially when I'm making very little money (by choice for now.)  

--
Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2