Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:08:29 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (66 lines)

RE: Homemade Formula

Hi Kristi, I would contact the pediatrician or primary hcp for this infant, asap.  It sounds like there may be many more issues besides the fact that she is feeding a homemade formula.  As a healthcare professional and a member of this family's healthcare team, it is your obligation to report your concerns to the primary.  In situations like this, you may be the only safety net to catch this family.  I can tell you from experience that the hcp will be very grateful for your input.  

Pamela Holland, BSEd, IBCLC, RLC
Babies, Breastfeeding and Beyond LLC
Pooler, GA

Date:    Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:46:29 -0600
Subject: : Homemade formula

Hello lactation consultants:I'm very concerned about a family I visited yesterday.  The mom contacted me due to a concern about low milk supply.  Baby is 5 weeks old.  Born over 6 pounds, dropped to substantially and was told to supplement.  Baby is now up to 7 pounds. Mom is back to work, working from home, very professional, polished and articulate. When I
 arrived the baby was up in the nursery with a sound machine.  She was swaddled and had vomit all over cheek and hair.  She was sleeping.  I had other general concerns - she told me the baby was left to cry for 2 hours the previous night, cried so long they turned the monitor off etc.   However, I am writing because they are  "supplementing" with homemade formula made from carrot juice, almond milk, oats and other ingredients.  Baby is receiving 3 ounces every 3 hours.  Mom bfs twice a day, pumps 3x a day.  Baby took 42 mls of breastmilk (by test weight) after nursing about 15 minutes and then mom pumped another 60 mls out after the feeding.  Baby has been vomiting/spitting up after every meal.  Family is affluent, well educated and very supported (nanny is making the formula).    Mom said they have tried 6 different formulas but "saw reactions" with each one of them.  She would not clarify
 what reactions she noticed. My biggest questions is:  what do I do?  I'm checking back in on her in a few days to see if her supply is up, but she only wants to nurse a few times and day and says she simply does not want to make the time to pump.  She said she is not an "attachment" parent and while she understands breastmilk is good, is not going to give up her life to make it happen.   Have you worked with homemade formula before?  The bedding, the clothes, everything is stained orange from the carrot juice.  Is this a common practice anywhere?  I've never encountered this with a baby so young before.     May I please have input/advice/suggestions? Kristi

Kristi R. Conroy, BA, IBCLC, RLC
LATCH Lactation Support
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant 

American Heart Association BLS Instructor
Certified Car Seat
 Technician
www.facebook.com/breastfeeding303

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a
 comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

------------------------------

End of LACTNET Digest - 25 Sep 2012 to 26 Sep 2012 - Special issue (#2012-690)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2