Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:20:57 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Friends, Romans, Countrymen lend me your thoughts on this persistent and stubborn little bugger I've been working with.

Baby is a month old now, slow weight gain, lousy latch habits and hurt mom's nipples in the first week.  We got some of that sorted out, but to do so had to use a nipple shield.  I suspect a possible posterior tongue tie although it isn't a "classic" humped tongue.  And even if it is mom isn't going to have it medically intervened with.  She has been ok with using the shield, but wants to wean from it.  She has managed to get him latched to bare breast 2-3 times in the last 2 days.  When I observed the pair today I realized that part of the reason he is having such a hard time is he is elevating his tongue when he opens his jaw.  And if he doesn't lift his tongue and we could get him latched he immediately thrusts the tongue straight out and pushes the boob out of his mouth.  You can imagine his extreme irritation.

I worked with mom on trying to feed him just as he was waking so he is calmer and less likely to get irritated while latching.  I showed her some of the suggestions about massaging the tongue and encouraging muscle memory about tongue placement while gaping.  

Is there anything else I can suggest to her? Any videos, pictures that might help her understand what to do?

Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Lea Rivera Todaro, IBCLC
Brooklyn, NY

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2