Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:48:08 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (49 lines)
I been reading up on the discussion on bf classes.  My opinion, based mostly on the comments made to me by mothers plus studies related to this topic, is that many times  bf classes paint or disguise behind the benefits of bf (and all that is related to them) the real truth of the matter...really meaning that, around 9 out of 10 of new moms are going to present some challenges.  Most moms complain that in their bf classes they were presented with this idea that is nothing compared to the reality.

To make myself clear, challenges are not barriers...that is another topic.  But we have to give a clear image of the reality of breastfeeding, especially the first 6 weeks.  

A lot of mothers are surprised, and many discourage by things like the baby not latching on on the delivery table (how many do really latch on at this moment???), having difficulties latching on the first few days, sore nipples (it is not normal...but it happens more frequently than we want to), the frequency of the first few weeks (telling them that bm is easily digested and that is why they bf so often makes many to run out for the formula...insted I would suggest telling them to watch out for 8 to 10 feedings in a 24 hour period in the first few weeks), the importance of nighttime feeding, and many other topics many of us already know.

I do offer a prenatal class (I have been doing so for the past 12 years).  I call them my "knowledge class"...I prepare them to overcome the possible challenges and to let them know these are normal.  The topics I cover are the following:

1.  Suggestions on how to prepare themselves for bf during pregnancy (education, literature, support groups).
  2.  BF at the hospital
       -the delivery room
       -rooming in
       -solving difficulties at the hospital
  3.  Follow up
       -pediatrician
       -consultation/support groups
  4.  Positioning
  5.  Baby's latch
  6.  How to identify if the baby is getting enough.
  7.  Frequency of feedings.
  8.  Nipple confusion (why it happens, how to avoid it, alternative feeding methods).
  9.  Sore nipples.
  10.  What can they expect on the first 6 weeks.
  11.  Where to find support in their community.

I usually end my classes with the slogan (in Spanish) "Grab the phone before the bottle" and explain to them that the first step to solve difficulties is the phone.

Many mothers ask for a "breastpump" class.  I usually tell them that before thinking about breastpumping, they have to first establish breastfeeding.  But if once the baby is born they require help with breastpumping, I will gladly walk them through it.  

This has worked out for us...we have  a high bf incidence among our practice.

Carmen Cabrer, IBCLC, LLLL, CCE
  [log in to unmask]
  Puerto Rico

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2