Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2014 09:27:04 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
In my experience of 27 years plus some "in field" case work, unless a mother has an OVERSUPPLY of milk, when she stops pumping her supply will drop.  IN fact, when I have a mom with OVERSUPPLY, we use a nipple shield to keep baby happy at breast and reduce supply. 

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Melinda Harris-Moulton

Sent: Monday, June 02, 2014 9:22 PM

Subject: Nipple shield and maintaining milk supply

Seeking help from the experienced

PTP. Baby 3 wk now. Always used nipple shield due to firm small inelastic breasts/nipples. With fenugreek and pumping, devoted mom has a good supply. I advised OK to wean fenugreek. Has reduced pumping from 10 x daily to 5-6 x daily. Baby growing well and now loves getting milk at breast with shield and no longer supplementing via finger feed. Will work towards getting her to the breast.

I've checked my books and the Lactnet archives, and it seems that there is no studies or consensus on use of silicone nipple shields and milk supply. I'd thought that nipple stimulation was needed to make milk, but of course moms of premies can make milk using a pump/vaccuum. And I understand that "an empty breast makes milk" .

I interpreted the information I've gleaned to mean that nipple stimulation is important to initiate production: But-- once supply has been established, will emptying the breast with only the stimulation through a shield be enough to maintain her supply as long as breast is getting emptied? Of course, she'd like to stop pumping! She gets anywhere from 5-50 ml when pumping, depending on how well baby nursed last.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Melinda Harris-Moulton

IBCLC, ARNP

Sent from my iPad

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2