Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:06:59 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Sadly, Kathleen Auerbach's article is as timely today as it was in 1987 when it was published!  I was a newly minted IBCLC at the time, but as an experienced La Leche League Leader, I could totally envision, from my own dialog with moms,  all the examples she mentioned.  And unfortunately I can say the same still today, from my "still Leader" activities, my work in Public Health and based on what my two daughters in law have experienced - one a working mom, one a stay at home one.  

I would also add the need for us to join together to increase the skill in communicating when we are not clear of causes of problems - often that is when the "blame the victim" comes into  play - and (in my mind) an abuse of the mother.  

For example, yesterday a mom came to WIC and the Peer Counselor had no IBCLC nearby, so she called me.  The mom was very frustrated, trying to breastfeed her baby who was now receiving mostly formula and refusing to breastfeed.  But what was most painful for me to hear was when she said "the nurses and the lactation consultant I saw in the hospital just said my nipples were too small and I had a bad milk flow."  Of course, this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy!  It also means that we (WIC, Public Health Nurse who will be making home visits, IBCLC, La Leche League Leader) will be working "uphill" - not only helping the mother increase milk supply and entice her baby to the breast - but even more to regain confidence in her ability to reach her goal to breastfeed.  (By the way, nipples were totally within normal size, shape, pliability, positioning...etc. and breasts easily released milk with hand expression.)

When will those who see mothers in the early postpartum period learn that at this sensitive time, how we phrase things gets "imprinted" in these moms?  "Watch Your Language" does not only mean watching how we "sell" breastfeeding - but also how we protect the mother's emotional and psychological strength as she develops a new skill through the tempest of hormones and exhaustion faced during their first few weeks of motherhood.  

I beg you all to please include these skills in whatever training you are providing - whether a 5-minute update or a 3-day conference!  It is easy, can be done in a short time - and can truly help you to promote positive woman-to-woman interactions...

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2