Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:34:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I enjoyed Susan's explanation of solid research.  Liz also wrote, "When research has been *funded* by a corporate interest, it calls into question whether the results can (ever) be objective."

Another example of problematic research is the Goldfield research on soft-walled bottles.  The study has been accepted into our field (well, it received a lot of text space in Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, and is included in the "Comparison between breast and bottle" table as science).  I was shocked to see part of their conclusion on a big banner above the nipples in Target (a national chain store) teaching mothers which bottle to buy for breastfed babies.  It recommends "disposable" meaning soft-walled, and of course only one company sells that (playtex), though I did see a store-brand Walmart knock off this week.  

The study was funded by playtex, and their bottle "won."  Studied were Avent and Playtex drop-ins.  I looked at our research on bottle nipple flow rates, and found that the Avent tends to drip, the playtex doesn't.  Additionally, the avent flows more than twice as fast as the playtex.  Dripping and a higher flow rate absolutely influence a baby's coordination between sucking, swallowing, and breathing.  In my opinion, soft vs. hard wall may have had nothing to do with the results.  

It's worrisome that some moms might buy into advertising and think one shape or brand is the "best" because of research that may not be objective.  This is what the WHO Code is for.   If the WHO Code were followed, perhaps we wouldn't be having these conversations.  

Amy Peterson, IBCLC
Idaho

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2