Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 07:43:10 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Dear all:

I'm finding the same reaction on Lactnet that mothers have when they need to use formula when someone criticizes the formula MARKETING.  Defensive about the use of formula which make be actually necessary because of the HUMAN MILK GAP, when the posts were criticizing the deceptive marketing that leads mothers to think they need to use it when they do not - or posts criticizing the production and manufacturing that increases the riskiness of the product.

I did not read, nor have I ever read, any criticism of WIC Peer Counselors or WIC IBCLCs.  Nowhere.  Perhaps someone can point to me the post that I might have missed that made any mention of the fabulous work carried out by peer counselors and IBCLCs working for WIC. Criticizing the policy is not criticizing those of you who work for WIC.  Your jobs would be much easier if there was NO distribution of formula, but there was a package that enabled mothers to choose HOW they used the subsidy to their income for the purpose of improving the nutrition of their family.  It is because I BELIEVE in your ability to counsel and that the COUNSELING is the key that I would be delighted if the formula packages stopped tomorrow.

I HAVE read criticism of the policy.  I think the policy DESERVES to be criticized.

And NO kickbacks and promotional samples are NOT free and do NOT make formula less expensive.  Someone somewhere is paying for the distribution, packaging, marketing of the product.  As a taxpayer I resent it.  As a health insurance policy owner (ours went up from $20,000 to $30,000) that subsidizes the insurance costs of large businesses who get kickbacks for having many employees.   I resent it because the increased hospitalization of infants puts stress on already overburdened hospitals for illnesses that might not happen. This increases my insurance costs and it increases New York State taxes.  I resent the fact that many IBCLCs whisper to me complaining about how storage closets in New York City hospitals (space here  is always a problem) are so overstuffed with promotional samples of formula that nurses will sometimes just dump it on patients to get it out of the storage closet.  I resent the fact that hospital employees, subsidized by my insurance and my tax paying dollars have to spend time checking that closet to make sure the formula isn't expired.  I resent it that my clients have received expired formula.  I resent it that my clients who need to use formula are paying extra for the formula because there is so much waste involved.  I resent it that the formula companies have done such a good job of patronizing poor women that we think a disaster will occur if we stop directly putting the formula in the hands of poor women instead of working with her and counseling her and giving her the opportunity to make her own decisions.  

The counseling and education would be far more effective without the package.  The cost would be far less if the transfer was direct instead of a product.

Sincerely,

Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2