Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:32:42 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)
If the carseat analogy is aimed at policy makers, health care workers and providers, and 
employers, I believe it can be helpful.  If the people who either facilitate or thwart breastfeeding 
get that not breastfeeding is riskier than putting an unrestrained baby in a car, then maybe they 
won't be so cavalier about sabatoging breastfeeding.  

I think it has been noted here before, though, that the carseat analogy can be cruel when targeted 
at women.  Any parent who wants a carseat can get one, either from a big-box retailer or a place 
that offers them at reduced prices or for free to low-income families.  Any parent can go to the 
local fire station and get a lesson in how to install a carseat and properly restrain the baby in it.  
Unless there is an extraordinary exception or two that I have not heard of, there are no real 
barriers that prevent a parent who wants an infant carseat from having one and using it properly.

On the other hand, many, many women want desperately to breastfeed, but for reasons both 
physiologic and iatrogenic, they either don't breastfeed or do so only partially.  For these women, 
breastfeeding their babies and putting them in carseats are most certainly not analogous. While it 
is entirely within their power to get their babies into properly installed carseats, it is, despite their 
most heroic efforts, not within their power to normally breastfeed their babies.

I know we often say that women who cannot breastfeed despite having given it their all should not 
feel guilty about not breastfeeding, but, I think we are less than honest if don't acknowledge that 
certain statements about the risks not breastfeeding can be incredibly painful for them to hear.  

I do not think women or the public should receive censored, watered-down or incorrect 
information about breastfeeding to spare anyone's feelings.  I agree with Jennifer and Kathy that 
the truth about breastfeeding is indeed inconvenient to a lot of people and that one of our 
greatest challenges is getting this message out despite the efforts of those who want to block or 
cast doubt on it.

However, I also agree with Ann Anderson, that it behooves us to treat those for whom normal 
breastfeeding is impossible with the utmost respect and sensitivity.  Telling these women that not 
breastfeeding is equivalent to not carseating seems like a slap in the face.  

I think analogies are useful, including the carseat analogy, but I think we always need to be 
mindful of our audiences, and how certain people might be distracted by an aspect of the analogy 
upon which we do not mean for them to focus.  

Kerry Ose, who is also optimistic that we will be at the tipping point sooner rather than later.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2