Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:35:04 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Funny how nobody in social services seems to have thought of how dangerous it might be for a mother who doesn't read well, or has difficulty understanding aseptic technique, or exact measuring, to try to keep a baby nourished on artificial breastmilk substitutes served by bottle.   

---------I can throw in the experience from my own mother here. My older sister was born pre- and dysmature and after a few hours my mother was sent home from hospital, where her baby had to stay for over two months. After those 2 months the breastmilk which my mother pumped was gone and she had to give my sister artificial babymilk. In those days mothers prepared the milk for 24 hours and kept it in the refrigerator. My sister was bad-nourished very quickly, because my mother interpreted the instructions wrong. She was told to mix the powder with water *up till*  a liter (1000 mls) in total. Instead of doing that, she mixed the powder *with* a liter (1000 mls) in total, thus making a mix that was too "thin" and far too watery.

Lydia, LLL, Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2