Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 19:47:15 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Dear all:  

A couple of questions.  My daughter just delivered at a hospital that indicated that they had just adjusted their glucose protocol to a minimum of 50 for LGA infants.  I was a bit shocked since I had read recently on Lactnet from one of the neonatalogists on Lactnet that there was no evidence that she knew of to use that number.  Needless to say, her husband has moderately severe milk allergies and she has been dairy free for the last three months.  The baby's BS was 44.  She did not want to supplement with donor milk (since they did not have any dairy free milk available or formula)  However, they somewhat bullied her into giving the baby Alimentum.  My question is what are the implications for the baby's gut flora and other sequelae of giving a milk based -although "hypoallergenic" formula to this little one.    I have only seen references for milk based formula, and also not any references for soy??  
Secondly, I was looking the new AAP Guidelines about skin-to-skin for the first hour or after the first breastfeed with no interventions, but was unable to find them.  Did I just dream about this guideline, or does it really exist?  This, of course was also not done.  When I nicely suggested it, I was quite rudely told that it was fine to have the baby under the warmer.  
Needless to say, I have a little less hair the eve.  
Merilee, CLC, RN 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2