Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:32:34 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Hi, Babies of this gestational age may not feed for a few days up to a week or so.  Much depends on this baby's condition.  If the baby is unstable, ie., on high ventilator settings or on vasopressors (medications for low blood pressure--common for babies of this age), it may not be advisable to further stress a baby by beginning feedings.  Our unit gives mouth care with a drop of colostrum on a sterile Q-tip.  Any patient who is intubated (baby or adult) should have mouth care every few hours as part of his nursing care for comfort and to lubricate the lips, and colostrum is a perfect medium for this.  It also helps mom to feel as though she is contributing to her baby's care, even before feedings are initiated.  When feedings are initiated, they will begin with as little as 1 cc every few hours through a soft feeding tube.  This baby will not feed orally at least until he is off of the ventilator.
These parents should request a family meeting with their baby's physician and primary nurse to get their questions answered.  They need a "go to people" to be identified--they will be  in the NICU system for a long while.  Good luck!  Maureen Allen RN, BSN, IBCLC, Lactation Consultant, NICU, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
> Wise Ones,
> I seldom see babies in this situation so I thought I'd ask those who know.............
> 
> Premature baby born at 25 weeks gestation.  Hospital is giving glucose water via IV.
> 
> Is this typical?  How soon might breastmilk feeds begin via gastric tube (or other route)?  I know every situation is different with a baby this early, but ballpark, or signs to look for.  Parents very much wanting to get breastmilk into baby, but this is WAY beyond what I usually deal with.   They've contacted me as an acquaintance who can help them decipher what they're hearing at the hospital.
> 
> Many thanks,
> Dawn Martin, CD (DONA), IBCLC
> Austin, TX
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
> To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
> To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> All commands go to [log in to unmask]
> 
> The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
> LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
> mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more 
> information, go to:
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2