Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:17:02 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the comment. I am hoping to increase medical awareness of this issue- heart failure, kidney failure, these are aggressively treated conditions. And much $$ and research goes into their prevention. I am hoping that by equating lactation failure with organ failure, it will be able to get the attention it deserves. However, as it is not always outright failure, I include the term "dysfunction." My goal is to get standards in place to have women screened/diagnosed/treated as early as possible-- even before pregnancy or (maybe wishful thinking) during adolescence. I actually think dysfunction and failure take the onus off the woman and place it on the organ itself. Insufficient I think can convey undertones of inadequacy, which is not a desirable feeling during motherhood. I think by using a more clinical term, we can hopefully get the attention of the actual clinicians and FINALLY treat it like the serious, life-threatening medical condition that it is. 

I think of MODF as the umbrella under which IGT falls. All women with IGT have MODF but not all women with MODF have IGT. 

Alexandra Walker, BSN, RN, IBCLC, RLC
www.bcclactation.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2