Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 07:41:05 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
I am learning more about interviewing techniques and the theory to finding out more about her is to ask her behavioral based questions.  I think to find out her views on breastfeeding you could ask, "Describe a situation where you were instrumental in helping a postpartum mother learn more about breastfeeding?"  Or "Could you explain to the group how you would answer a mom who asks you for a bottle for her new breastfed baby?"

I know I am assuming that you are working OB or Labor and Delivery.  Forgive me if I am wrong.  If you were working in an office I suppose you could ask, "Where or would you refer a mom who has some breastfeeding questions into the community?"  And maybe, "A mom comes into the OB office (or peds office) and is concerned about baby weight gain on her exclusively breastfed baby, what have you said in the past or what would you say now?"

I think you can get a feel for how to ask behavioral based questions depending on your setting.  Dont ask yes/ no questions.

We had a peer interview and I sat in on that, and I had a very good experience.  Its definitely a "hot seat" for the interviewee but you really get alot of good questions from the peers.  They didnt limit the times they went around the table to the peer interviewers, and one of my favorite questions was, "list 5 adjectives to describe yourself"  Most people can come up with 3 quickly and they will be right on target.  Then some have to think on the last 2.  Those with confidence often come up with the last 2 fairly quickly.  Those with low self esteem and possibly low confidence and therefore hard to train etc will take longer and you will feel them hesitate etc.  Gives you some insight.

Hope this helps!
Theresa Johnson RNC BSN IBCLC
Assistant Nurse Manager
Orlando Florida
Laura Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
For the first time ever, I have been asked to sit in on an interview for a prospective new employee to our unit. She has no OB experience. I haven't had any experience with this at all. What types of questions can I/should I ask?

Laura Walker RNC, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2